Working the fundraising business can motivate you to view the world through rose colored glasses. Where there is struggle, there are people who step forward to help. Where there are problems, there are perfect strangers who lend a helping hand. The MBD fundraising team all strive to make the world a bit more colorful and fun. We saw this article in World Observer and had to share: 15 Easy Ways to Lead a Happier Life. Read on to see how you can be a happier person! Here are 15 ways to make your life easier and happier!
1. Give up your need to always be right. Just let it go. We loved the World Observer’s question: “Would I rather be right, or would I rather be kind?” What difference will that make? We think it’ll be a HUGE change and all for the better.
2. Give up your need for control. This is a tough one for many but can be a true lifesaver by eliminating a lot of extra stress and baggage. We like this idea: “allow everything and everyone to be just as they are and you will see how much better will that make you feel.”
“By letting it go it all gets done. The world is won by those who let it go. But when you try and try. The world is beyond winning.” Lao Tzu
3. Give up on blame. It’s your life and your responsibility. Here’s a place when you can take control and own the situation – instead of pointing fingers, focus that energy on moving past the obstacle – you’ll take a lot more from the experience and will be moving towards a brighter future!
4. Give up your self-defeating self-talk. Don’t be your worst enemy, be your best friend. Be yourself and be proud of it!
5. Give up your your limits and what is possible versus impossible. This goes hand in hand with the last one – you can go the extra mile, you can push through that final obstacle, you can get yourself to wherever you want to go – just put your mind to it and keep the option open, you’ll be amazed at what you can accomplish.
6. Give up complaining. It’s all about putting out positive energy. Take a deep breath every time you want to say something negative or sarcastic, let it out with your breath instead of words. We like the World Observer’s sentiment here: “It’s not the situation that triggers those feelings in you, but how you choose to look at it. Never underestimate the power of positive thinking.”
7. Give up criticism. You don’t need to criticize things or people that are different or do something differently than you would have done. “We are all different, yet we are all the same. We all want to be happy, we all want to love and be loved and we all want to be understood. We all want something, and something is wished by us all.”
8. Give up your need to impress others. As much as we want to just “be ourselves,” how many times do we find ourselves putting on masks to fit in to a given situation, a given moment, a certain crowd? The funny part is that we are repelled when others do this, yet why do we continue to do it ourselves? “The moment you accept and embrace the real you, you will find people will be drawn to you, effortlessly.” True that!
9. Give up your resistance to change. “Follow your bliss and the universe will open doors for you where there were only walls” Joseph Campbell
10. Leave the labels to your closet. The idea of “letting go of labels” is a broad, life-changing movement for many people. Let go of labels like “weird,” or “ugly” or “stupid” or any of those negative ideas. Open your mind bit by bit, the more you let in, the more you will continue to open up. and. Stop labeling those things, people or events that you don’t understand as being weird or different and try opening your mind, little by little. Minds only work when open. “The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don’t know anything about.” Wayne Dyer
11. Give up on fear. We like the simple quote from FDR: “The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself.” Franklin D. Roosevelt. Fear IS just an illusion that we create. Let it go – don’t be afraid, stay positive and motivated and challenge yourself. Following the steps above, you know you can accomplish anything, you got this!
12. Give up excuses. Don’t let excuses bring you down and hold you back. Remember you can do it all!
13. Give up the past. This one is tough especially when you have 20/20 vision of the past. The unknown future can be daunting and the past can look rosy. But honestly, the present is all we got so carpe diem, seize the day, seize the moment, and live it up! You can treasure the memories, prepare yourself for what’s to come but when it comes down to it, it’s all about the right now. Let go and just live!
14. Give up attachment. We like the author’s take on this and find it may be the most difficult one in the list but the most powerful. It’s not about giving up the things that you love and things that matter, we think it’s more about detaching yourself from the things that don’t. Letting go of materialistic pressures, grudges, hard feelings, jealousy…all those things that just bring in negativity. Letting it go will literally take a weight of your shoulders. Doing so lets you walk taller, laugh more and just live happier.
15. Give up living your life to other people’s expectations. Live YOUR life not the one others expect of you. Trust your gut and your instinct. Carve your own path and make your own choices. “You have one life – this one right now – you must live it, own it, and especially don’t let other people’s opinions distract you from your path.” Truth!
Via World Observer – thanks for the wonderful inspiration today!