Kids are back in school for the year. As you get them ready for their day and pack up those lunches, don’t forget food safety. Packing lunch can present some food safety risks that can be avoided with these simple lunch-packing tips, from washing reusable bags to food preparation tips. Learn the safe way to prepare school lunches.
- Reusable lunch bags are a great way to go green and carry food, just remember to wash them regularly. Wipe the inside daily with a hot, soapy cloth to prevent germs and crumbs from building up.
- When you’re in a rush, don’t forget to wash your hands before handling lunch food. Prepare sandwiches and other lunch goodies in a clean area with a clean cutting board.
- Pack perishable foods in a reusable insulated container with ice packs to keep food cold and prevent harmful bacteria
- Remind your child to wash his or her hands before having lunch
- Wash all fruits and veggies, even those that will be peeled.
- Use shelf-stable snacks like trail mix, cereal, and crackers on longer days when food won’t stay cold. To go green and avoid trash, use reusable snack bags.