Mixed Bag Designs is excited to be part of so many great school fundraisers, and we are so happy that we can do our part to go green and help the environment. Our fundraising catalog features lots of cute reusable shopping bags and everyday reusable totes for errand running, and there are lots of great reasons to go reusable instead of grabbing those disposable bags next time you head to the grocery store or neighborhood market. If every American uses 5 bags each week, that means our population of over 350 million people uses 1.75 billion plastic bags each year! Mixed Bag Designs is proud to offer reusable shopping bags that are made up of polypropylene, and 10-40% of the material used in our bags is recycled from post consumer use. Here are 5 great reasons to consider bringing reusable bags next time you shop:
1. A plastic bag can take up to 1000 years to decompose, and if you’re thinking paper is a better alternative? Paper bags take almost just as long when they’re in an oxygen-deprived landfill.
2. The cost of recycling these bags outweighs their value, so it’s best to avoid them at all costs. Most recycling facilities won’t even accept them to be recycled.
3. Precious resources are wasted on plastic bag production, including natural gas and petroleum products. In the end, this drives up the cost of fuel for everyone.
4. An estimated 1.1 million animals, like birds and sea turtles, die every year from ingesting plastic bags that block their digestive tracks.
5. Last but not least, reusable grocery bags can be fashionable and fun! Add some flair to your everyday shopping experience. Be the ultimate eco-savvy, environmentally responsible shopper and set an example for all to see.