After the fundraiser ends – DON’T FORGET TO SAY THANK YOU! One of the most important jobs in fundraising is crafting thank-you letters to all those who helped support your cause. The message should come from the heart as it’s all about preserving a relationship with your donors. You can’t afford to write a unique letter for each of the thousands of donations, but you can take the time to personalize it with your own words.
You may even consider creating a short thank you video, which will show the impact and create an emotional pull towards your campaign. It only takes a few seconds to recognize all those who helped made your campaign a success. It is important to acknowledge every donation, no matter the amount.
Remember a well-written thank-you letter is not only polite, but good fundraising!
Key points to consider:
- Send it promptly. It should be sent out within a week of receiving their donation, preferably sooner. It indicates that your organization is well run.
- Make it personal. The thank-you letter should be about them and not you. This can be accomplished by using the first and second person of speech (I, you, we). Add human interest and emphasize “you”. Also, instead of using contractions like “you’re” spell out you are. Spell out names. This could make all the difference and could keep your letter out of the trash bin.
- Use a warm tone. Thank them in the same words as if you were speaking face to face. It should sound heartfelt and sincere. Good feelings come from helping others. Let your supporters know what they will be getting out of their donation. Be specific and show some thoughtfulness.
Here are a few sample thank you notes for keeping your appreciation original:
1. In response to your recent donation to “Your Organization”, all of us here would like to say thank you for your generosity.
2. Thank you for your contribution to “Your Organization”. We greatly appreciate your help and your generosity will directly benefit “Your Cause”.
3. We would like to thank you for your support and for making a difference. The funds raised will go towards “Your Cause”.
4. We can’t thank you enough for your recent donation. Please know how much you’ve helped “Your Organization” and how much we all appreciate it.
5. Our Mixed Bag Designs fundraiser was a success, in part due to all of your help. Thank you so much for your generosity and thoughtfulness. It means so much to all of us here at “Your Organization”.
6. “Your Cause” wouldn’t have been possible without your help. Thank you from everyone here at “Your Organization” for your very kind donation.
7. Thank you for helping fund “Your Cause”. Your dedication makes all the difference. We are sincerely grateful to have donors like you.